Wednesday, January 27, 2010

New Super Mario Bros. Wii: 1-Castle -- Sorry, Mario, but the Princess is not in this Castle!

Rotating gears and lava- not good! I died after falling in the lava- didn't activate the Propeller Suit in time.

Take 2- Got a Super Shroom, but immediately lost it because I was caught between the gear and the ground. I got a new Super Shroom, but I died because I did not build up enough speed to jump over the lava, and did not wall-jump off the edge in time to save myself. This could take some time.

Take 3- Got a Super Shroom, and saved myself with a last second wall jump from over the lava. I got an Ice Flower, but I lost it to a Thwomp while trying to get a Star Coin. I should've been more patient. It wasn't that bad, because soon after, I got enough coins for a 100-coin 1-up! Unfortunately, while trying to land from a jump, I lost my Super Shroom from touching another Twomp. I then died from touching a Dry Bones.

Take 4- I got a Fire Flower for collecting 8 red coins, but I lost it to the same Dry Bones. I saw a green pipe near the bottom of the screen after a gear and got the last Star Coin. I hit the P-switch to solidify blocks over the lava and turn the blocks blocking the Star Coin into coins. Near the boss door, I got a Fire Flower and went through the door. While in the corridor, I was able to shoot up to 4 fireballs at a time. The corridor was quiet, with soft music and echoing gutteral sounds like stones grinding against each other and drops of water. Before I can do battle with Larry, the pesky Magikoopa, Kamek, shows up and uses his magic wand to alter the floor, giving it an everchanging rainbow effect. The floor rises up in 5 columns, which are a rainbow from the cool colors spectrum, with stars and other shapes on them. Every other column is in sync, so three might be up and the other two are down, and they are in constant alternating motion, creating an uneven terrain. This could make the battle more difficult when you want to jump on Larry and you're on a lowered column, losing the height advantage. Things are difficult, but not too hard. After being hit, Larry goes into his shell and runs around, but the columns keep him contained in one area by forming walls. As he is thus contained, jumping on him is much easier, and I just keep repeating the cycle until he takes three hits. After he is defeated, a Bowser silhouette key hovers in midair, with soft bells playing and a single note oscillates in volume. Mario grabs the key, holds it triumphantly and says "Mario number 1!"
The column on the right side of the screen lifts up and Mario exits the castle. Outside waiting is Peach on the Airship. Bowser Jr. is there on top of the castle, jumps on the Airship and it takes off. Mario calls for it to come back and follows it to World 2. Now things are about to get hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment