Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Final Thoughts on the Initial Playthrough

New Super Mario Bros Wii was an entertaining game to play. I stayed motivated to play through the whole game, namely so I could get more saving opportunities once I found out that I could only save after a boss fight. I am still motivated to continue playing this game because I do not have all of the Star Coins. The reason I am motivated to continue is that after I beat Bowser and saved Princess Peach, Peach mentions something about a secret world. After the credits rolled, I found myself standing on a new world map of World 9. Even though I cannot access the levels, I am motivated because I can now access this new world, and I don't have to get every last Star Coin to start playing it. The levels tell you that you have to get the all of the Star Coins from a world to access that level, instead of all of them opening up only once all coins have been obtained. The player can work their way up and see their progress every time they get every Star Coin from that world. They can also beat the World 9 levels as they go. As I have not collected all of the Star Coins in even World 1 (I missed one in the castle and completely skipped a level), I cannot access any of the levels currently.

The game incorporated many learning principles of good games. Although the gameplay is not modified for every player's ability, the Super Guide allows the solo player to complete levels they have difficulty on. The game designers said it was so even weaker players would be able to see the end of the game, instead of giving up and shelving the game indefinitely. The game also allows weaker players to have stronger players carry them along through the level by standing on the stronger player's shoulders or by putting themselves in a bubble using the A button. The multiple lives and continues allow a player to practice the level until they complete it. And, although very annoying, game overs place the player at the last save point to make them practice the levels over again so they become stronger players. The game also allows the player to try out different things with minimal consequence compared to if they tried it themselves in real life. Of course, Mario or whichever character they are playing as may die, but they are not real people.
The game also provides the player with a sense of agency, because they can choose their adventure in most places. The paths branch so the player can choose which levels they'd like to play, which levels are easier for them, and complete the game without having to go through every single hard level out there. I chose this method of picking out some of the easier levels, and I know from playing some of the harder levels when choosing them that I would not be finished with the game now if I had to play every single level, unless I decided to use Super Guide. The game also lets the players explore, which is how secret areas are reached. These secret areas lead to Star Coins, Toad Houses, Secret Goals, other levels, short cuts, and cannons. In my haste to get to the next save point, I only unlocked a few of these secrets, but I plan to find them when I look for the rest of the Star Coins.
The game also provides lots of positive reinforcement. The player will hear applause after completing tasks, such as collecting all 8 red coins from the red coin ring, collecting all 3 Star Coins in the level (you get the applause after collecting the last coin you need, you can come back and get any you missed and still receive applause), collecting all silver coins, getting 1-ups by defeating enemies in series without touching the ground, and rescuing Toad from levels (carrying him to the goal also gets you some fireworks).
The game also provides negative reinforcement, with instant death from falling into the void, purple water, or molten rock (lava or magma), and getting stuck between the edge of the screen and part of the world, such as a block or other structure.
There are also a number of challenges in the game, namely going through levels without the use of items. Rescuing Toad is the main example of this, because while carrying Toad, most powerups are reduced to the effectiveness of a Super Shroom, because Mario's hands are busy holding Toad, and Toad is standing on the propeller of the Propeller Suit, making that and the Fire and Ice Flowers effectively useless. These powerups are only like a second Super Shroom, just keeping Mario one more hit away from death. There are also just-in-time instructions provided, onscreen, to alert/remind you of how to do things. There are no instructions for the Fire and Ice Flowers, as it is pretty reasonable to assume that those who have played Mario games will know how to activate them (others can read the manual). There are no instructions for the Penguin Suit, but other "penguins" slide around on their stomachs when you first get the Penguin Suit, so it may be logical to try to get Mario to slide, which can be done by pressing down on the control pad, with or without the suit. The Helishroom is a new powerup, that is activated by shaking the Wiimote, incorporating its motion-sensing technology. When wearing the suit, the player wil see a pair of colorful hands shaking a Wiimote, indicating what to do to activate the suit. This motion becomes more intuitive, so I did not need the instructions after the first couple of times. The other instructions come about when Mario is near something that can be picked up other than a Koopa shell. The instructions show the (1) button as well as the hands shaking the Wiimote. These directions are a little less intuitive, as one must hold the (1) button to keeping holding the object. Releasing the button will cause Mario to immediately chuck the object in front of him. I needed the reminder up until around World 3, but it is still useful, because it lets me know what I can pick up (ice cubes) and what I can't (frozen Sumo Hammer Bros).
I also developed a better sense of flow. I initially got through all of World 1 in one session, because it was designed to be easier than the others. Up until half way through World 3, I was only playing to the next save point for every gaming session I played. I then developed a sense of flow (surprisingly after a disastrous multiplayer session) and played from after 3-Fort to 4-Fort. I kept playing in these equivalents of a World (Fort-to-Fort vs. Castle-to-Castle) for the rest of the game until 8-Fort, because there were only a few levels left. This was due to my increased confidence and abilities within the game. Hopefully they will be enough that I can get the rest of the Star Coins.
Overall, this was a good game and I recommend to anyone, especially Mario fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment