Saturday, May 15, 2010

New Super Mario Bros. Wii: 8- Bowser's Castle -- Makenai yo!

The first part of Bowser's Castle is pretty simple. There are lots of fire beams and lava and Podoboos. The music is the same Castle music for all the other Worlds, but there is a thunderstorm going on in the background. I used a Super Shroom and got an Ice Flower, but fell into the lava.

Take 2- I got a Super Shroom, and lost it to a Podoboo and died from a Podoboo.

Take 3- I got a Super Shroom and lost it to a Podoboo. I reached a red pipe. The lava slowly drains while Mario descends slowly on a platform. However, the platform moves faster than the lava drains, so Mario must keep changing platforms. I fell in the lava.

I needed lives, so I did 6-Toad Rescue, and got 9 1-ups.

Take 5- I got and lost an Ice Flower twice to Podoboos and fell in the lava.

Take 6- I used a Super Shroom, got an Ice Flower twice and lost it once, and got a 100-coin 1-up. I fell in the lava.

Takes 7-8- See Take 6.

Take 9- I used a Super Shroom and Super Guide appeared. I got and lost an Ice Flower, but got a 100-coin 1-up. After the red pipe, I finally reached the red pipe at the bottom. There you find the midgate and the final boss door. The door is more elaborate than the other doors and has somewhat of a temple motif. Past the door is a long rock corridor. Four or five huge flames will appear, and there is a rock area to hide behind, as well as two holes to hide in to dodge the flames. The flames may appear in patterns, like M or W, and sometimes, it will be safe to pass because they will be over your head. There are three sets of flames to dodge. After the 3rd, Mario enters the battle room where Bowser awaits. There is a large metal (probably bronze) statue of Bowser in the background, surrounded by metal Koopas and Goombas. At the end of the battle room, Peach is crying in a cage, with her back to us. She is also looking a tad short -her hair comes down nearly to her feet. As in classic sidescrolling Mario fashion, there is a pink switch at the end. The awesome final battle music starts, and with a powerful roar, Bowser starts the battle. I lost my Super Shroom to Bowser, because I was unsuccessful in jumping over him. I died from the fire.

Take 10- I used a Super Shroom. I tried and failed to run under Bowser when he was jumping, and died.

Take 11- I used Super Shroom and lost it to the fire. With good timing, I ran under Bowser and hit the pink switch. Bowser fell into the void. A nice little victory tune plays, then Peach's theme, as she turns around, and reveals that it was Kamek in disguise. The music stops like a bad music box. We've been duped!
Kamek uses his magic to make Bowser bigger, but gets knocked away. He isn't as tall as in Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, but his roar is powerful enough to push us to the edge of the battle room. He shoots flames that can break through the wall, to reveal that there is more to this level than we initially thought. I got a Super Shroom from an item block, but die from the fire.

Take 12- I used a Super Shroom and defeat Bowser. The victory tune plays, but the cage is gone and Kamek comes out of nowhere like usual and makes Bowser big. I got a Fire Flower and the 3rd Star Coin, but lost the Fire Flower to fire. I made it to the edge and rode a platform down where I got a Helishroom. After beating Bowser the first time, you can only move as quickly as his flames allow you to progress. After getting past the wall, you can move at whatever speed you want, but Bowser will jump after you. After riding down the platform, you notice that there isn't a void, but rather you were too high up to notice the lava below you. When Bowser lands, the lava will form waves like in 8-3. I died from a lava wave.

Take 13- 28. These takes all went very similarly. Sometimes I got the 3rd Star Coin. At Take 24, I used my last Super Shroom in my supply. I used up all of my items that could've helped me and I did not want to start this level over again. All I had left were a Mini Shroom and a Starman, neither of which would do me any good. I started to get low in lives around Takes 16-20 -around 4 lives, so I started cpllecting the coins for 1-ups. Also in Take 20, I took off my headphones so the music wouldn't distract me. (It worked well when I tried to complete Galaxy with Luigi.) In Take 26, I got 2 100-coin 1-ups. Even though it took so many tries, I didn't think I needed to re-evaluate my strategy, because in most instances, I wasn't living long enough to implement it. In the takes that I did get the Helishroom, I initially tried flying everywhere, only landing on the moving platforms to recharge the propeller. (I also tried to go above the level when I saw an opening, but that wasn't possible.) That strategy didn't work, so I tried to just take on the rest of the level by platforming, and only using the Helishroom to save myself from falling into the lava.

Take 29- After defeating Bowser, I got and lost a Super Shroom to the fire. I got another, as well as the Helishroom. After only using it to save myself, I reached the end switch. Peach was standing around in a cage. After the hitting the switch, the lava drains and Bowser falls through the floor. Peach gently floats down with her music playing. I finally beat the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment