Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Bob-omb Battlefield - Big Bob-omb on the Summit

It's time to get the first Star! The first Star we can get is in Bob-omb Battlefield, accessed via the painting of the Bob-ombs.
N64
The original music that was remixed in Throwback Galaxy starts playing. Mario gets a message as soon as he lands in Bob-omb Battlefield: Wow! You're smack in the middle of the battlefield. You'll find the Power Stars that Bowser stole inside the painting worlds. First talk to the Bob-omb Buddy. (Press B to talk.) He'll certainly help you out, and so will his comrades in other areas. To read signs, stop, face them, and press B. Press A or B to scroll ahead. You can talk to some other characters by facing them and pressing B.
Our first mission is to reach the top of mountain. I hit a Goomba, walked up the slope, went past the Chain Chomp, and dodged some water balls. There is an endless supply of large metal balls rolling down the mountain that we have to dodge. We reached the summit, where a large Bob-omb with a crown and large moustache overlooks the battlefield. We approach him and he says "I'm the Bib Bob-omb, lord of all blasting matter, king of ka-booms the world over! How dare you scale my mountain? By what right do you set foot on my imperial mountaintop? You may have eluded my guards, but you'll never escape my grasp... ...and you'll never take away my Power Star. I hereby challenge you, Mario! If you want the Star I hold, you must prove yourself in battle. Can you pick me up from the back and hurl me to this royal turf? I think that you cannot!
The bosses in the game will tell you how to beat them, which makes life easier. The battle music starts. I accidently walked off the moutain and took two bars of damage, but I got back to the summit. I unfortunately walked in front of him and he picked me up and threw me, but I don't take damage from it. It takes some time to walk behind him because he keeps turning around. I picked him up and threw him with B. This counts as a hit. I got in a second and a third hit, which means I beat him. He says "Whaaa...Whaaat? Can it be that a pipsqueak like you has defused the Bob-omb king???? You might be fast enough to ground me, but you'll have to pick up the pace if you want to take King Bowser by the tail. Methinks my troops could learn a lesson from you! Here is your Star, as I promised, Mario. If you want to see me again, select this Star from the menu. For now, farewell."
And with that, he grunts and explodes into a Star. The battlefield music starts up again. He gives us a little hint on how to beat Bowser and how to replay this mission, as this is the first game of its type. We jump to get the Star.
Star Get #1, 11 Coins, 4 Lives
We get a message as we jump out of the painting: "You've recovere one of the stolen Power Stars! Now you can open some of the sealed doors in teh castle. Try the Princess's room on the second floor and the room with the painting of Whomp's Fortress on Floor 1. Bowser's troops are still gaining power, so you can't give up. Save us, Mario! Keep searching for the Stars!
Well, we've unlocked some new areas in the castle, but I'll get to them later. I will get as many Stars from one course as possible (each painting you enter is a "Course" and I will do the Courses and Stars in order as much as possible. I will try to follow with the DS version in parallel as much as possible. Let's start the DS version!
Nintendo DS
Inside the room withe painting, we find another Toad, who says " Yoshi! Mario and the others just jumped into that picture! But... tehy haven't come back out, despite the castle's plight. Despite all that, it's really rude to act like a maniac. Use the Touch Screen to run and walkd, even across narrow ledges."
The music hasn't changed from the N64 as Yoshi lands in the battlefield. We get a message: "Chasing Mario led you smack in the middle of the battlefield. Where's Mario? First, talk to the Bob-omb Buddy. In Standard Mode, you can do this by pressing (A). He'll certainly help you out."
The modes in the game allow for different sets of controls and use of the Touch Screen.
I made my way up the moountain only taking damage from a large metal ball. The sprites have been updated, but not much else has changed. We reach the Big Bob-omb, who says "I'm the Big Bob-omb, baron of all blasting matter, king of ka-booms the world over! Incredible! You've made it this far even without a mustache. I commend your courage. Be that as it may, I can't just give you my precious Power Star. You must defeat me in battle if you want it! You'll be quite helpless facing my Bob-omb minions. Now, put your tongue back in your mouth. It's quite undignified. Let's battle!"
Once again, he gives us a hint on how to defeat him. The battle music starts and he starts throwing Bob-ombs at us. Yoshi picks one up with his tongue and spits it out at the Big Bob-omb and he bounces seven times while saying "Ow!" This is how you get in hits because Yoshi can't pick anything up with his hands. At the same time, I ran into him, but did not take damage, but I think he tried to lift Yoshi when he was trying to spit out the Bob-omb. I didn't do this, but you can run under him while he's bouncing and take damage if he falls on you. I soon got in the second hit after he stopped bouncing. I got in the third hit and he only bounced once. He says " Ow! That hurts! How did I lose to a bald-faced fellow like you? Let's just keep this between you can me. I'll give you my precious Power Star in exchange. If you want to see me again, just select this Star from the menu."
He explodes into the Star. You can jump into the Star, but Yoshi can also get Stars with his tongue, so that's what I did. Somehow, it comes out of his head.
Star Get #1, 6 Coins, 4 Lives
We get a message after we exit the painting: "You've recovered 1 of the stolen Power Stars! Now you can open some of the sealed doors in the castle. Try the princess's room on the second floor and the room with Whomp's Fortress on the first floor. But there are still no signs of Mario! Hurry and find him, Yoshi!
The next Star is Footrace with Koopa the Quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment