Sunday, February 13, 2011

Whomp's Fortress - Red Coins on the Floating Isle

N64
It's time for our second Red Coin mission! I also tried to get 100 coins in this mission, because in each course, collecting 100 coins gives you a Star. On my first try, I tried to get the coins before I got the Red Coins, but I fell off when I had 97. I got Blue Coins (worth 5 Yellow Coins) from Piranha Plants, and 5 Yellow Coins from the Whomps. There is also a Blue Coin Switch past the Bob-omb Buddy. More coinss can be found surrounding the flower patches and near the bridges.
Take 2- This time, I started to collect the Red Coins. I took two hits from Piranha Plants. The one of the Red Coins is over the 2nd pushing wall if you take the dirt ramp up instead of the stone one. I took two more hits from a Thwomp. If you stand on the top of the Thomp near the top of the stairs, you'll find another Red Coin above you. Jump to get it. Another is just behind the Piranha Plant at the top of the small stairs. Sidle near the wall where there isn't much to stand on in between the Piranhas for another Red Coin. Unfortunately, I took three hits from Piranha Plants and died.
Take 3- I took a hit from a Piranha Plant and got the above four Red Coins. I found another on the rotating bridge. Underneath the bridge, I slid for another Red Coin. I took out a Piranha Plant to bring my coin total to 100 and a Star appeared. Upon collecting it, we get a message: "You've collected 100 coins! Mario gains more power from the castle. Do you want to save? Yes /No
Star Get #8, 100 Coins, 2 Lives
We get another message: "You've recovered eight of the Power Stars! Now you can open the door with the big Star! But Bowser is just ahead...can yuo hear the Princess calling?"
No, I can't hear Peach calling, and I won't be taking Bowser down for a while. I'm trying to see how many Stars I can get in an area.
I went to the top of the fortress and jump-kicked the plank down so it made a bridge to the floating isles. Unfortunately, I fell off the fortress entirely.
Take 4- I got the above 6 Red Coins. I went back to where we landed and climbed the tree to chase out Hoo, the owl. He says "Whooo's there? Whooo woke me up? It's still daylight -- I should be sleeping! Hey, as long as I'm awake, why not take a short flight with me? Press and hold A to grab on. Release A to let go. I'll take you wherever you want to go, as long as my wings hold out. Watch my shadow and grab on."
We do so and he takes us high in the sky to the floating isles where the last two Red Coins are. The last two are on a floating grassy isle that spins and on a floating brick. The Star appeared near where we started, but I fell off the level entirely. Curses!
Take 5- This time, I flew with Hoo to the floating isles first. If you hang on for too long, he'll drop you. I got the rest of the Red Coins and took damage from the Piranhas. I got the last Red Coin over the pushing wall because the Star appears nearby and I would be less likely to fall off the level there.
Star Get #9, 48 Coins, 0 Lives

Nintendo DS
We climb the tree as Yoshi to find Hoo, who gives the same speech with some directional changes: "In Standard Mode, press (B) to hold on. Release (B) to let go." When we fly with him, a remix of the Starman (Wing Cap) music plays. We accidently let go and take damage from falling. We take off again and let go over the floating grassy isle with the Red Coin. We get the next one on the floating brick. We jump back to the fortress and take damage from falling. We also take a hit from a Whomp and two from a Goomba. We get the next one on the rotating bridge. We take another hit from a Goomba and hit the Blue Coin Switch to add to our coin total, which is now 62. We get the Red Coins by the Piranhas and take them out for Blue Coins. After falling off the bridge and taking damage, we get the coins in the pool, bringing our total to 90. One of the Red Coins moved to an area added onto the fortress for the DS version. It's faster to get there by going past the Blue Coin Switch. It's over a patch of flowers with two Piranhas instead of under the rotating bridge. We take out two of the Piranhas for the 100 Coin Star. We get a message: "You've collected 100 coins! You gain more power from the castle. Do you want to save? Yes/ No
Star Get #8, 1oo Coins, 4 Lives
We get another message: "You've retrieved 8 Stars! You can now open the door with an 8 on it! The door in the back of Princess Toadstool's Rec Room will open. What looms in the back of the secret room? And you haven't forgotten about Mario, have you?"
Interesting message. We will take care of that room later.
We get the Red Coin and follow the path to where we started. We backflipped onto the stone ramp and jumped on the Thwomp (with updated sprite) at the top of the stairs so we could reach the next Red Coin. We got the last Red Coin above the second pushing wall, which no longer has a face. The Star is where it was in the N64 version.
Star Get #9, 121 Coins, 6 Lives
The next Star is Fall onto the Caged Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment