Sunday, February 6, 2011

Whomp's Fortress - Chip Off Whomp's Block

Whomp's Fortress is the second course in the game.
N64
When we land at the base of the fortress, which is a floating island in the sky that we can fall off of, we get a message from the Lakitu Bros: "Hello! The Lakitu Bros., cutting in with a live update on Mario's progress. He's about to learn a technique for sneaking up on enemies. The trick is this: He has to walk very slowly in order to walk quietly. And wrapping up filming techniques reported on earlier, you can take a look around using C-right and C-left. Press C-down to view the action from a distance. When you can't move the camera any farther, the buzzer will sound. This is the Lakitu Bros., signing off."
The sneaking technique will be useful here, as we'll be dealing with sleeping Piranha Plants, that will wake up and bite at the slightest disturbance. To speed things up, I backflipped onto the stone wall and walked up the slope. I woke up the Piranha Plant at the top of the stairs and it bit me. I went across the stone bridge that falls into the water below. (Fortunately, it regenerates, unlike in Super Mario Galaxy 2.) I got on the rotating bridge, stood in the center until the path connected to the other side, and walked off. Around the corner are a couple of Whomps and an elevator to the top of the Fortress. At the top is the Whomp King, who says "It makes me so mad! We build your houses, your castles. We pave your roads, and still you walk all over us. Do you ever say thank you? No! Well, you're not going to wipe your feet on me! I think I'll crush you just for fun! Do you have a problem with that? Just try to pound me, wimp! Ha!"
Once again, we are given instructions on how to beat him. We have to trick him into falling over. If we run through his path, he will jump and fall over, trying to crush us. I tricked him into falling and pounded the ground on his back, which counts as one hit. Cracks appear on his back, which also has a bandage. I get in the last two hits necessary and he says ""No! Crushed again! I'm just a stepping-stone, after all. I won't gravel, er, grovel. Here, you win. Take this with you!" He explodes into the Star, just like Big Bob-omb.
Star Get #5, 12 Coins, 4 Lives
Nintendo DS
We land on the floating island and receive the following message: "Hello! The Lakitu Bros. here, with a news update. Our hero is about to learn a technique for sneaking up on enemies. According to eyewitnesses, the trick to sneaking is walking slowly. And, as reported earlier, our hero can use the Touch Screen to walk smoothly and run swiftly!"
Taking the same route as in the N64 version, I avoided taking damage from a Piranha Plant, but fell off the falling bridge and sustained damage. On my third try, I made it across both bridges and rode the elevator to the top. The Whomp King has an updated sprite (with larger feet), but the same speech. We get in one hit easily, as well as the last two. He says the same thing as in the N64. He explodes into the Star.
Star Get #5, 9 Coins, 4 Lives
Toad says "Bowser took all the Stars I tried to hide here. There are 7 Stars in each course. You'll need your buddies to get some of them. Teamwork goes a long way when you're going up against Bowser."
Buddies? We get buddies? We won't see these buddies for a while, but they will be extremely helpful.
The next Star is To the Top of the Fortress.

No comments:

Post a Comment