Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Bob-omb Battlefield - Footrace with Koopa the Quick

N64
We land back in the battlefield, and to prepare for upcoming missions, we talk to one of the Bob-omb Buddies. He says "We're peace-loving Bob-ombs, so we don't use cannons. But if you'd liek to blast off, we don't mind. Help yourself. We'll prepare all of the cannons in this course for you to use. Bon Voyage!" The cover over one of the cannons slides under the ground, opening the cannon. Most of the cannon fire from the last mission has subsided, so water bonbs are not as much of an issue. "Ready for blast off! Come on, hop into the cannon! You can reach the Star on the floating island by using the four cannons. Use the Control Stick to aim, then press A to fire. If you're handy, you can grab onto trees or poles to land.
Now we can use the cannons, a valuable resource in this game. We then approach a tall Koopa, who says "Hey, Mario! Is it true that you beat the Big Bob-omb? Cool! You must be strong. And pretty fast. So, how fast are you, anyway? Fast enough to be me... Koopa the Quick? I don't think so. Just try me. How about a race to the mountaintop, where the Big Bob-omb was? Whaddya say? When I say "Go", let the race begin!" He gives the options "Go" and "Don't Go". I choose "Go" and the race starts. I tried to use the cannon to my advantage, but it was a bad idea and I fell behind. I got to the mountaintop by using the warp in the side of the mountain where the metal balls come out, but Koopa the Quick did not like this, saying "Hey!!! Don't try to scam ME. You've go to run the whole course. Later. Look me you when you want to race for real."
This game does not tolerate cheating in races, so don't try it. Nothing else happens, so I exited and returned.
Take 2- This race did not go well, either. I fell off the bridge, took hits from the Chomp and some metal balls, and lost the race. Koopa the Quick says "I win! You lose! Ha ha ha! That's what you get for messing with Koopa the Quick. Better luck next time!" I exited and returned, but swapped for a controller with a better joystick.
Take 3- Third time's the charm. I took hits from a Goomba and a metal ball, and started long-jumping up the mountain. I won with a time of 1'20"1. I had to wait for Koopa the Quick to show up and acknowledge my victory, saying "Hufff...fff...pufff...Whoa! You...really...are...fast! A human blur! Here you go-- you've won it, fair and square." The Star flies out from him and we get it.
Star Get #2, 4 Coins, 4 Lives

Nintendo DS
We open the cannons with the Bob-omb Buddy's help, who gives the same speech, except he says "In Standard Mode, use the (Control Pad) to aim, then press (B) to fire! While in flight, you can grab trees."
Yoshi approaches Koopa the Quick, with an updated sprite, who says "Howdy! Do you know where Mario is? I've been looking but he's nowhere to be found. You don't look like you're busy. If you don't mind, would you bring Mario here? Thanks."
No, I don't know where Mario is, I'm looking for him to. And I am busy, trying to get Power Stars, find Mario, Luigi, and Wario, and save Princess Peach.
Mario isn't in the course, but on the Touch Screen, we see a couple of red hats. The closest one is being worn by a Goomba. We take out the Goomba and get the hat, and a message: "While searching for the Power Stars, you found a red cap. Put it on and, voila! You suddenly look just like Mario! While playing as Mario in Standard Mode, you can punch, grab, and throw objects and enemies by pressing (A). You can also perform the famous wall kick! (Currently referred to as a Wall Jump.) Just press (A) to jump against a wall, then press (A) again to jump high. Princess Peach is counting on you. Don't give up!"
We have transformed into Mario! We now have Mario's sprite and all of his abilities, which are different than the ones in the N64 version. We can do wall jumps, but some of his abilities are lost, as we shall see in later missions. This also introduces us to the modified Cap system: Caps will now turn one character into another. Yoshi can use all of the character caps, but no other characer can change into Yoshi. Even as Mario, Yoshi still sounds like Yoshi, and his icon on the Touch Screen is Yoshi wearing a Mario cap. Taking damage will cause the cap to fall off and move away. It can be retrieved if you chase after it and catch it before it disappears. If it disappears, it will reappear shortly somewhere else, which you can locate on the Touch Screen. We return to Koopa the Quick, who thinks we're Mario. He says "Well, if it isn't Mario! Long time no see. You've put on a few pounds since I last saw you. Too much pasta and lounging, huh? You should really get some exercise. Hey, how about a race to the mountaintop where the Big Bob-omb was? Done! When I says "Go", let the race begin! Ready... Go!/Don't go
We choose "Go!" and the race is on! I find the DS much easier to control and quickly sprint up the mountain. Past the Warp is the 2nd cap, laying on the ground. I finish with 1'01"98, much better than on the N64. Koopa the Quick shows up later, saying "Huff...fff...puff...Whoa! You...really...are...fast! A human rocket! Here you go. You won it, fair and square!" The Star appears. He says "It's been a while since I had a race like this. I got a great workout. If you want to race me again, come back later. All you have to do is press START to pause and then select Exit Course." We get the Star.
Star Get #2, 8 Coins, 4 Lives
If you lose the cap and finish as Yoshi, Koopa the Quick says "Huh? Where is Mario? ... Aha. He must have wimped out knowing my spped. Looks like Super Mario isn't so super after all!"
If you use the warp as Mario, it will still count as a win.
The next Star is 5 Silver Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment