Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Mario Squared Galaxy - Luigi's Purple Coin Chaos

Welcome Back to the Galaxy!
No! NOOOOO! It can't be! It's BAAAAACK! I thought that Flip'n' Sprint was a poor successor to Luigi's Purple Coins, but I didn't think they'd bring it back! We land on the flipside of the planet, designed to look like 8-bit Luigi. The Purple Coin music plays. There are a few changes from Galaxy: 2 minute time limit, no rotating yellow platforms, 100 Purple Coins, and...
COSMIC CLONES!
The sign says that we have to get all 100 coins, so we can't skip any, unlike in Galaxy. As soon as we step off the Star Block, Cosmic Clones appear. Harder than Luigi's Purple Coins? I don't know. I think the designers tried to balance the difficulty. I know I had a difficult time with this mission. On my first try, I got 77 coins but fell in the goop. Not too bad for my first try.
Take 2- I only got 30, but I took hits from a Clone and fell in the goop. I gave up here to pursue other Stars.
Take 3- 23 coins, took 2 hits from Clones and was knocked off the planet.
Take 4- 22 coins, but died from a bad long jump into the goop.
Take 5- 88 coins. Getting closer! I took 2 hits and fell in the goop.
Take 6- 61 coins, but I died from Clones. Purple Coins do not have healing properties and there are no yellow coins in the planet.
Take 7- 61 coins again. I fell off the planet and gave up.
Take 8- I revisited the mission after getting more lives and trying to get another Star. I got 80 coins, and died from Clones.
Take 9- I got 15 and fell through.
Take 10- 11 and I fell through. I don't like where this trend is going.
Take 11- She's baack! Super Guide again takes human form as Cosmic Rosalina. I'm still going to ignore her. I got 81 coins and fell in the goop because I failed to long jump. I'm heading in the right direction again!
Take 12- 72 coins and I fell off.
Take 13- I got less than 20 and was knocked off.
Take 14- 79 and I fell in the goop.
Take 15- 20 coins and I fell off.
Take 16- 74 coins and I failed a long jump.
Take 17- 91 coins. So close! I fell in the goop. I needed more lives, so I gave up.
Take 18- 41 coins. I walked into the goop.
Take 19- 58 coins and I fell through.
Take 20- 92 coins and I fell into the goop. Almost there!
Take 21- 41 coins and I fell into the goop.
Take 22- 49 coins and I fell through.
Take 23- 19 coins and I fell in the goop.
Taek 24- 92 coins and I died from Clones. This level would be so much easier without them following me around.
Take 25- 87 coins and I fell in the goop.
Take 26- I got a 100 Star Bit 1-up, which is the best news from the mission. I got 44 coins and died from Clones.
Take 27- 87 coins and I was knocked into the goop.
Take 28- 80 coins, 100 Star Bit 1-up, and I fell in the goop.
Take 29- 62 coins and I fell off.
Take 30- 63 coins and I died from Clones.
Take 31- 16 coins, 100 Star Bit 1-up, and I died from Clones.
Take 33- 87 coins and I fell in the goop.
Take 34- I finally got all 100 and I took hits from the Clones. I found out that it's a very bad idea to go "scorched earth" on Luigi. The Clones will go everywhere you go and do everything you do. Even though the green platforms will disappear from under your feet, the Clones will not fall through. They will go wherever you have gone, regardless of whether the platform exists. I tried to take out the first two following me, so there would be a bigger gap between me and the next Clone. That didn't work, because I needed all of the health I could get. Executing long jumps is essential due to a large chunk of the coins are over a gap of goop a regular jump can't clear. I think I had an easier time with this one than Luigi's Purple Coins, but I never kept track of how many tries it took. I know it took several. I don't want to do this mission again.
Star Get #115, Galaxy Complete!, 2822 Star Bits, 9 Lives

No comments:

Post a Comment