Thursday, July 8, 2010

Wild Glide Galaxy - Fluzzard's First Flight

Roger that! All report go! Bird Mario- ca-caw! -Transmission 10

Welcome Back to the Galaxy!

We land in the galaxy with new jungle-themed music. There are a couple of small orange birds waiting around. The first one says that Fluzzard doesn't fly because he's shy. But for some reason, he's comfortable with us-we only just met! Fluzzard is bigger than the other birds, and looks like a smaller, less confident, differently colored version of the legendary Pokemon Ho-oh. We can't talk to him to find out what made him trust us instantly, but hey, we've got to move the plot along somehow. The tutorial reveals that gliding is like ray-surfing, but we can only speed up by nose-diving. Practically speaking, it has similar dynamics to flying with the Wing Cap from Super Mario 64 - it's falling with style. (Actually, falling/jumping off the planet with a Rainbow Star is falling with style.) We take flight and pass through a few rings and holes in the rock. The music changes into a remix of the trailer theme. There are balloons scattered throughout. Popping them releases Star Bits that automatically go to you- no Star Pointer needed! What makes this challenging is that if you touch any part of the planet, you take damage. There are no Life Shrooms and if you hit something head on, you die automatically. That is how I lost my first life here.

Take 2- I died when I hit the edge of a ring.

Take 3- I got through 3 rings, but took too much damage from the rock and ground and gave up- I had only 2 lives left.

Take 4- I got through the first ring, but steered into the rock face.

Take 5- At this point, I decided to ignore the rings and just get the Star. I got a 1-up and steered into the Sun Ring-from ray-surfing- looks a lot like a Shine Sprite. My time was 1:15.81. The orange bird congratulates us for flying and gives us the Star. I did not get the Comet Medal, and it took a few more tries for me to find it. I found out later that I have to go through all 5 rings to get it-it's stuck in purple sphere that I can't seem to steer into. I'll get it later.

Update: I finally flew through all 5 rings. It took me a few tries to do it, and a few of the tries, I failed to steer in to the Comet Medal. I have it now after another 9 tries.
Star Get # 23, 430 Star Bits, 10 Lives

That's a big Woo-hoo! - Transmission 10

No comments:

Post a Comment